Wednesday, March 19, 2014

DIY Envelope Pillow Case




The grass is finally showing here in Pennsylvania and the spring like temperatures are starting to roll in.  Or at least I hope.   I have been feeling the need to add some color to my living room to make it feel springy  (is that a word?).

So I made a quick trip to Jo-Ann Fabrics and found some great home decor fabric at 50% off!  I decided I would make some envelope pillow cases to change the pillows.  I purchased 1 and 1/4 yards (total guess) and hoped it would be enough.

Once home I found a great tutorial at Texas Cottage for easy envelope pillow cases and I followed that to make mine.

First I measured my pillow, 18.5" by 19" on the long side.  I then determined what I need to cut.  18.5" x 42": 19 x 2 (for the front and back) and then add 4" for the seams.

Then hem your two short sides:  Lay the fabric right side down.  Measure and pin a 1/4 " hem on each short side. Iron them flat. On one short side hem another 1/2", pin, and iron. (This is the side that will show on the back of the pillow.) Sew both hems.

Now with the long side towards you fold the side with the 1/2" hem over a little more than half-way. Fold the other side over so it overlaps the first side. Make sure your fabric measures from fold to fold the same as your pillow.  Pin each side seam, and sew with a 1/2" seam allowance.

Turn each side right side out, and push the corners out.  Stuff your pillow in.

The great thing about these pillow cases is they are easily washable (huge benefit with little kids) and they can be changed easily.








No comments:

Post a Comment